Monday, January 31, 2011

Tea? Try me...


For a bachelor, I have a surprisingly large collection of cups, mugs, plates, spoons, knives and such household items. All these were acquired with zero effort on my part, in terms of financial commitment, and I can assure you that cutlery is the last thing on my mind when it occasionally lingers into the realms of relieving a supermarket of its wide variety of liabilities. I beg you to allow me to call them liabilities because most of them bear begging tags …. was 599/- now 249/-… take me please...

They were gifts from my sister… sorry; allow me to rephrase that… They were gifts to my sister on her wedding day. She received a larger than expected supply of household items, most of which she had little use for. Let me tell you about my sister. She is heavy on décor. She dresses for dinner, and if her theme colour today is maroon, the dinner table will be a poem in maroon, including, but not limited to the food. With that in mind, it would not be too much trouble to guess that she tossed anything that didn’t pass her quality trade mark my way and I must say it was quite a generous collection.  Overnight, I transformed from the plastic man… as most of my utensils were… into a porcelain doll. I had no qualms, to tell you the truth, I don’t mind serving you tea in a brown square mug jutting out of a yellow saucer and bread … don’t expect too much from me…  and bread on a tray that has pictures of bread on it.

From now henceforth, you will no longer have to take preinstalled tea, straight from the kettle. I will present you, dear visitor, with yet another saucer, green this time, with a teabag in it. Just one. I’m just starting out on these and they are pretty steep! …  You will be expected to plunge the bag to you taste and then return it to the same saucer. You may need it for a refill.  In place of the sugar dish and the half-filled glass of water for you to cleanse your teaspoon after stirring the tea, I have gone trendy. I have converted one of the larger salt shakers into a sugar dish by sealing all but one of the holes on it and then inserted a large straw chopped at a forty five degree angle. You will be required to squirt your tea thrice. No more.  May I take this opportunity to remind you that too much sugar is bad for your health.

Milk, dear visitor is something I have given long thought of. I would love to add a separate urn with plain milk to give you a true chai latte experience but this experiment has gone horribly wrong in the recent past. Most of you, dear visitors, serve three quarter parts milk to a quarter parts of water, and one of you had the audacity to drink the milk plain, leaving me attending to the boiling water!  The current economic climate has also affected me, dear visitors, and I’m sorry to say that the milk will have to come preinstalled. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Si that is funny, kwanza about the sugar!